When Advocacy Requires Advocating for Yourself
Over the past several weeks, I have been dealing with an extremely stressful situation involving access to supports for my medically necessary dog and my puppy that's going to get trained to become a certified service.Dog.
Recently, I received a response from legal counsel representing the organization involved. While I cannot share private correspondence, I can share some concerns about the information that was communicated.
One of the issues that stood out to me was that the response referred to only one termination notice. However, I have documentation showing that there were two separate termination communications, and I had to provide those documents to clarify the timeline.
This situation has been incredibly overwhelming because, instead of focusing on my health, my disabilities, and the needs of my animals, I have found myself having to repeatedly explain the history of what happened and provide information that should have been fully reviewed.
I also found it concerning to be told that I was not entitled to access support through an organization whose stated purpose is to assist members of the community, including people with disabilities and those facing barriers to caring for their animals.
I am part of the community these types of programs are designed to support. I live with significant disabilities and health challenges, and my animals play an important role in my daily life and wellbeing.
My concern is not about claiming ownership of charitable donations. My concern is about whether organizations that exist to support vulnerable members of the community are applying their mission, values, and programs fairly and consistently.
Before making decisions about someone’s eligibility or needs, it is important to understand the full story, review all documentation, and understand the purpose of the program itself.
This experience has caused me significant stress and anxiety, but I will continue advocating for myself, my animals, and others who may find themselves in similar situations.
People who rely on community support deserve to be heard, treated with respect, and given a fair review.The domino effect. One decision leads to another. One termination turns into two. One unanswered email turns into another. One breach of contract turns into hours upon hours of unnecessary work that never should have existed in the first place. Instead of focusing on my health, my dogs, and simply living my life, I now find myself contacting a legal advocate, consulting with a pro bono lawyer, and reaching out to the British Columbia Civil Resolution Tribunal. None of this should have been necessary had my current concerns been addressed when I first raised them, had the agreement been followed, and the contract had been followed, and had meaningful communication taken place. None of this have snowballed into what it has become today. Instead, every action has created another reaction. More paperwork, more documentation, more emails, more recordings, more timelines, more evidence, more stress, more anxiety, more time taken away from my health, my dogs, my life. The board's letter states that its decision is final, that no further internal appeal will be considered, and that the matter is closed. From their perspective, it is. From mine, it isn't. You don't get to close a matter simply because you decide you're finished talking about it. Not when there are unresolved contractual concerns, not when there are unanswered questions, not when the documentation tells a different story. This isn't over because someone typed the words, this matter is closed. It's not over because the facts still exist, the documentation still exists, the timelines still exist, the recordings still exist, the contract still exists, and every one of those pieces deserves to be examined. I never wanted to spend my time documenting years of correspondings, organizing evidence, and seeking legal assistance. I wanted to spend my time caring for my dogs. Instead, I have to spend countless hours dealing with something that, in my view, should never have reached this point. Yet, here I am, still documenting, still preserving the evidence, still standing up for myself, because sometimes the truth doesn't disappear simply because someone decides the conversation is over.
© 2026 Laura. All Rights Reserved. No part of this content may be reproduced, copied, or used without explicit written permission from the author.

No comments:
Post a Comment